Adult Library (per card):
- Books : maximum of 6; each on 3 week loan (except new and reserved books = 2 week loan)
- Audio-cassettes, CDs, kits: no maximum
- Videos: no maximum; 2 days: $1 each ; 7 days: $2 each
- DVDs: no maximum; 7 days: $2 each
Children’s Library (per card):
- Books : maximum of 10; each on 3 week loan
- Audio-cassettes, CDs, kits: maximum of 6; each on 3 week loan
- DVDs: no maximum; 7 days: $2 each
Each book and audiocassette can be renewed twice for a period of 3 weeks each (6 weeks total), except for those that are new or on a reserved list.
DVDs cannot be renewed.
Click here to watch a video on How to Renew Your Books Online at the JPL
Call (514) 345-2627 ext. 3003 to speak to a Circulation staff member or leave a message.
1. Click on Access the Library Catalogue
2. Click on Renew/Request Books
3. Enter your Patron ID and password
4. Click on the Renew button to renew your items
- Videos & DVDs: $1 per day, per item
- All other items: $0.25 per day, per item
- Books, CDs and cassettes: $0.10 per day, per item
- DVDs: $1 per day, per item
Lost or Damaged Items
Members are responsible for all items checked out on their cards. All returned items will be carefully examined, and if they are damaged or sections are missing, the borrower will be notified and billed for the full replacement costs, late/overdue fines, and an administrative fee of $10 per item. Similar charges will apply for all lost items.
The library is not responsible or liable for equipment problems resulting from the use of audiocassettes, CDs, videos and DVDs.
1. Click on Catalogue and Databases
2. Find your desired book in the catalogue
(Don’t forget to look at our New Items list, available online the first week of every month!)
3. Click on the Request button
4. Enter your patron ID and follow the instructions to put your name on the reserve list
5. To verify your reservation, log in to your Patron Activity screen
Inter-Library Loans (available for books only)
If you're looking for a book that’s not in our collections, we can still get it for you. This service is often free, but lending charges sometimes apply. If so, you will be informed before the request is made; if you still want the item, prepayment will be required. We accept cash, cheque, Interac, VISA, and Mastercard.
Just fill out an inter-library loan request form at the circulation desk, or call or leave us a message anytime at (514) 345-2627 ext. 3003.
For other libraries or institutions requesting materials from the Jewish Public Library:
Books – 2 week loan, 1 renewal
Loan charges – Reciprocal charging
Photocopies – A minimum charge of $2.50 applies; $0.15 per page. Copies can be mailed or faxed.
Scanning – $10 initiation fee for any scanning order. This includes postage and the cost of media (CD-ROM, DVD, or printout). We do not e-mail scanned images. There is a $5 fee per scanned image up to 15 scans. For 15+ scans, charges increment to $25/hour.
Replacement: Cost of item + $15 processing fee
Payment: Invoice with item
We cannot loan:
Audio-visual items (VHS, DVD, audiocassettes, audio CDs)
Books from any of our special collections
Audiocasettes of many of the Jewish Public Library’s cultural events held over the last 50 years can be purchased at reasonable rates, as can Yiddish talking books on audiocassette and CD. For more information, please email the Reference Librarian at [email protected] or call us at
(514) 345-2627 ext. 3001.
Books on Wheels service for the homebound
With the help of our generous volunteers, the library provides a Books-on- Wheels service to those patrons unable to join us at the library. Members may request books or audio-visual materials for delivery to their homes. This service is free to all who qualify.
For more information, please contact us at (514) 345-2627 ext. 3003 or at [email protected]
The JPL thanks the Henry and Berenice Kaufmann Foundation for supporting our Books on Wheels service.